Monday, January 14, 2013

What do I think an astronomer does?

I know there are many different kinds of astronomers, and for every kind of astronomer there is a multitude of varying jobs he or she can have. Some astronomers study planets, and some study black holes, while still others study dust. They all observe the universe, although some are interested in "looking at" it through different wavelengths than others. Some are interested in biology and others in geology. I think it's a safe bet to say that they all have to use at least some indirect methods to get their data. Although some astronomers get data from satellite telescopes and rovers, and others even travel to outer space themselves, there are some things that just cannot be observed directly. And this brings me to what astronomers do in general; they work to understand the "final frontier" of space, one of the biggest mysteries known to man, and it takes ingenuity. Some may use this information to search for life outside of Earth, and some seek answers about the beginning of time.

If I become an astronomer, I would like to study "star birth" (I really like that term), the sun's magnetic cycle, or planetary geology. It's very selfish of me, though. I have no reason to want to study these things other than to satisfy my own curiosity. Sometimes I worry that it will be too difficult to get a job as an astronomer, but mostly I just feel guilty that I am not pursuing a career that will contribute to society in a more direct way, especially during hard times for my country. I dream of all the adventures I could have exploring other worlds, but in the back of my mind, I wish there was a more noble cause for astronomy. I truly love astronomy, yet I find it is more difficult to justify studying astronomy than to recount all that is done in it's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment