Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Sundial and My Compass






When I was in Qatar six or seven years ago, I bought this brass sundial/compass for my grandpa, because he was a Lieutenant Junior Grade in the Navy and drove a pt boat (pictured below) during World War II. He survived the war (mostly because it ended just as he arrived in Manila), but sadly, the reason I have this sundial is because he passed away a couple years ago, and my grandma returned it to me. Then she joined him in heaven only weeks after he passed. I'm very glad that I got to know my grandparents, and that I got to see them both and say goodbye before they left this earth. They were my moral compass when I was growing up, and I hope to pass on what I learned from them to my children and grandchildren. (I have so many pictures of both of my grandparents that I wanted to post, but I thought these two of my grandpa and his pt would be the most relevant for this post.)




No comments:

Post a Comment